Author's Introduction

I first began writing essays in the early 1980s – at about the same time that I discovered the joy of manually uprooting dandelions from our Wethersfield, Connecticut lawn.  I always felt that the two avocations were somehow related but I have never been able to fully understand or articulate the connection.  A few years into my new literary hobby I took a writing course at a local university.  We were assigned a short composition that told something about ourselves, and our interest in writing.  I no longer have a copy, but the thesis was the coincident timing of these two activities – with no attempt to explain why or how they were related.  As I remember, my write-up was considered quite profound.  (I should mention that “show not tell” was the workshop’s modus operandi – so in some sense ignorance of the reason something happened was perceived as a somewhat of a virtue.)

          
For several years I drafted mostly what I would call semi-humorous, semi-philosophical, semi-gardening essays for my garden club newsletter and our local newspaper.  Then after retirement my wife Marsha and I became involved in Wethersfield (Connecticut) Historical Societyand I began penning non-academic history articles for the organization’s website – “tell not show” storytelling where the narrative is driven by facts of the case rather than the free form, stream of conscious ramblings of the author.  Which is how I came to know such former Wethersfield residents as Francesco Lentini – “The Human Tripod” and “The King” of circus sideshow freaks and Thomas Hickey who was tried and executed for conspiracy to kidnap General George Washington.
             
Marsha and I now live in The Village at Rancho Viejo in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  And I am continuing my avocation by researching the history of Rancho Viejo – the land on which it sits, and its occupants – from prehistory to today.
             
I am not a trained academic historian – in college I was a Philosophy major, and then an Information Technology professional for thirty-six years – so what follows is not an academic treatise.  I have tried to be factually accurate and deeply appreciate the assistance and guidance of David Rasinski, Community Association Manager, Rancho Viejo North Community Association; Dr. Eric Blinman, Director, New Mexico Office of Archaeological Studies; Ryan Flahive, Archivist, Institute of American Indian Arts; Pablo Chattey; Oscar Rodriguez; Bram Meehan, son, “second reader,”  consultant, a graphic design; and especially Marsha without whom I never would have started writing and whose “first reading,” edits, suggestions, and support continues to make it all happen.
             
The history of Rancho Viejo, like that of many other places, encapsulates in miniature the characteristic qualities and features of the growth of Santa Fe, of New Mexico, and of the Southwestern United States. 
             
I hope that you enjoy reading my version of that story.

— Jim Meehan